Our family is complete! We continue the story of growing our littlest members. . .

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Getting older, getting dumber

It's still Wednesday, right?  Good.  I'd hate to slack on my goal of weekly Wednesday entries on the first try.

I've known for quite awhile that I'm not as bright as I used to be.  The condition is certainly related to me aging, but exponentially worsened by the number of children I've had apparently.  Yesterday Grandma Marsha came to watch Axel, Eero, and Rex while Magnus and I headed into Willmar to run errands, grocery shop, etc.  I made my list of things to get, clipped a couple coupons, packed the diaper bag, and loaded Mags and all he requires into the big rig and drove to town.  As I put the car in park at Menards I realized I had forgotten my purse.  Can't do much shopping without a purse.  Since I had gotten the babysitter and loaded everything in the car, I drove back home, got my purse, and drove back to Willmar.  Dumb.


Even with just one little baby I draw attention to myself it seems.  People see Magnus and ask if he is brand new - not exactly, I say, but he's one of three and the smallest.  Oh my gosh... and we start that whole thing again.  I try hard not to stereotype, but there was even a large man with a big mustache and a leather Harley jacket in the grocery store who stopped me and commented on how little and cute Magnus was, and then I had that conversation with him.  My dad probably sent him to make me smile.

Magnus is officially done with his caffeine.  He's been home for two weeks and hasn't had any of the breathing spells, so now hopefully we are on the way to being done with the monitor, too.  A week from now the apnea program that monitors him will download his data from his time with us and then a neonatal doc will determine whether he's ready to be rid of it.  He's generally a very pleasant kid and doesn't give us much trouble at all.  He spends a lot of time in the baby bouncer seat, which is at a comfortable angle to help control his reflux.

If all babies were like Eero people would have more babies.  He is so content and easy to please, as long as he's not hungry.  He's really filling out and has big chubby cheeks now and at least two chins. 

If all babies were like Rex people would think twice about having more babies.  He's really a dear, but likes to be held most of the time.  Like the NICU people told us, he just has a lot to say about things and crying is the only way he knows how at the time.  He would eat round the clock if we let him, so his big cheeks will probably keep getting bigger, as will his growing belly.  It's so exciting to see fat on these previously skinny boys.  Even Magnus is looking so much healthier, and his skin doesn't just hang off him like it did after birth.

We've acquired quite a support team without trying - the Blue Cross insurance nurses call regularly to see how we're doing, as do the public health nurses and of course the apnea program nurses.  I spend a lot of time on the phone with these people. . . they probably have no idea each other is calling, but I would think they'd realize that someone sitting at home with 9 week old triplets doesn't have time to small talk with someone she's never met.  I hardly get to speak to the people I'd like to talk to.

This past weekend we loaded up the car and went to New Richland to celebrate Easter with my family.  The trip from Kerkhoven to NR takes about three hours without stops; we usually figure in an extra 15 minutes for a bathroom break.  This trip took six hours.  It doubled.  By the time we stopped to eat lunch, fed everyone, stopped for gas and a car wash, and ran into Target and fed everyone again then headed on to NR, it was six hours. Hope we can improve that number so we can continue to visit down there.

I must go to sleep now.  I've got two guys sleeping in bed next to me and three more next to my bed, so I'd better close my eyes, too, before someone is awake again.  Hope you all had a lovely Easter. Come on, Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment