Our family is complete! We continue the story of growing our littlest members. . .

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The grossest thing you'll ever love - Banner column #2

The Grossest Thing You’ll Ever Love

Most experienced parents have product recommendations for expectant mothers and fathers – a must-have for surviving their new roles as primary caretakers of a baby (babies, in our case).  We’ve tried a number of these things, trusting the advice of friends and family who surely knew what they were talking about.  

Of course not all things have worked for us, as each family life requires unique innovations.  But some have become staples in our collection of must-have baby gear:  a chamois crib sheet from Pottery Barn, a dishwasher basket for bottle parts.  I originally scoffed at the idea of using a hands-free carrier, such as a Baby Bjorn; something about them reminded me of monkeys, and I’m not especially fond of monkeys.  We now own two. 

Not all the gadgets that make our life with three babies easier were recommended to us by people we know.  We’ve discovered a few on our own through a “why not? Let’s try it” attitude.  Sometimes we unexpectedly happen upon things in stores and bring them home, unaware of how much we needed them before.

Sometimes I need something and don’t know what it is or where to find it, and that’s when I hit Amazon.com.  It’s one of my happy places.  There I have searched for and purchased a huge variety of essentials, like detergent and baby bottles, as well as unnecessary items – from candy cigarettes to a ukulele, and a carrying case for said ukulele.  Presently, there is not a lot of extra time to continue my musical studies . . .

A couple weeks ago we started having some runny baby noses here, but seemed to be without any of the seven bulb aspirators sent home with us from the hospital.  Where these things go I can’t say, but I’m thinking it has something to do with a certain live-in hurricane.  I went to another happy place, Target, and picked one up.  It was a piece of junk.  I didn’t know there were levels of quality when it came to nasal aspirators, but, lesson learned, I checked on Amazon.

There are not only levels of quality but also different types of aspirators, and I am thrilled to tell you that we have discovered the most brilliant one out there.  It is called Nosefrida, the Snotsucker.  I’m serious.  Made in Sweden, so you know it’s quality, right?  Almost 500 people gave it a five-star review, and their comments led me to believe it would be worth trying myself . . . people tell the truth in online reviews, so if something is no good they say so.  

This little ingenious contraption works exactly as the name implies.  There is a blue plastic chamber attached to a tube with a mouthpiece.  The end of the chamber is placed in/near the baby’s nose and the operator of the Snotsucker puts the mouthpiece in his mouth and literally sucks the snot into that chamber. 

Fear not, the snot gets nowhere near your mouth!  It stays nicely inside the holding chamber.  There is no pokey thing to shove up in the baby’s delicate inner nose, and the little ones tolerate the process so much better than they did with the bulb aspirators.  It’s also transparent so you can see the results.  Perhaps the most wonderful thing is that it’s dishwasher safe.  All this for under $15.

The first five-star review of the Snotsucker was titled, “The grossest thing that I’ve ever loved,” and we love it, too; I enthusiastically endorse this tool.  Some baby products are useful to some people and others are not, but I cannot fathom how anyone would not love this thing, unless he cannot handle the concept of using his mouth to vacuum snot out of someone else’s nose.

Visit www.threebuns.blogspot.com for photos and more of our crazy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment