Our family is complete! We continue the story of growing our littlest members. . .

Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Very Triplet Circus Birthday

The fastest year of my life!  Our baby boys turned one.  On their actual birthday we gave them some bakery cake with blue frosting and watched them make a mess of it.  It was so fun to watch each boy treat it differently.  Magnus was kind of timid at first, and we switched to Rex, who totally annihilated the cake into a pile of cake rubble.  Back to Magnus, who must have picked up on this and really got into it himself.  Then Eero, who didn't use his hands at first and just stuck his face in it like a dog.  It was awesome.  Pictures below.



So that was actual birthday.  Baths for everyone afterwards!  I felt kind of bad working that day and not spending all day with them, but I only spent a very short time with them on the day they were born, so I guess it was okay. 

For their birthday party, we chose to follow along with the theme everyone imposes on us - a circus.  Sometimes it's silly to have themes, I think, but it makes it easier to figure out what to serve and how to decorate, etc.  I know they're only one and don't know the difference, but it's fun for the rest of us.  Circus peanuts for everyone!  Yes, we had the big orange marshmallow shaped like a peanut (Jerry Seinfeld refers to them as door stoppers).  We also had plates that featured elephants balancing on balls and tigers jumping through flaming hoops.  The centerpiece was a big top cupcake stand, and for an appetizer (which means our meal wasn't ready on time - huge shocker) we had popcorn in red striped bags.  We also had clown noses for everyone, which was maybe the best part!  I have leftovers if anyone would like one.

Here are the pictures from the day:

Axel the Clown
 Winston and Lorraine the Clowns (my grandparents - what good sports!)
 This is all Rex did with his birthday party cake - hold it lovingly.
 Magnus remembered how good it could be, and he started hard. . .
 Eero was not into it either, other than a few finger pokes and face rubbing.  I think I ate his cake.  Jesse made this homemade snow white butter cream frosting and it's heavenly.  Mostly Crisco and powdered sugar with a little almond flavoring.  Mmm.
 Now he's really getting into it.
 Studying his mess. . .
 This is blurry but such a good action shot!
 So pleased with his mess!
 What goes with chocolate cake?  Milk, of course!
 I think Rex misunderstood what to do with the clown noses.
 Here is a rare photo of the six of us.  Not bad.  The best part may be Winston & Lorraine in the background, who appear to be making a getaway.

I will write again soon, I promise!  I've added two blogs today, the other about losing my dad five years ago, which I started that day but didn't get to finish. 

Can you believe they're a year old?  Holy crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment