Our family is complete! We continue the story of growing our littlest members. . .

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Our Own Flying Circus

Some humor for a break from the heat, Conversations with Axel:
Jesse: Tell mom what you told me outside, Axel.
Ax: I told Daddy he was fat.
Me: That's not very nice! Tell him you're sorry.
Ax: No, I won't.
Me: Why not?
Ax: Well, because he is fat.

Time to get in shape, as Axel is starting to be more honest than we need. He'll call you fat even if you're not.

I'm getting poor at this, aren't I?  In one of my grad classes the professor said, as he handed out the assignment description, "Now I want this on Monday, but if you're not able to get it done, say because you've got triplets going on, just let me know.  We'll work something out."  I hate to get special treatment for deadlines but I do need it usually!  Boo.  However, I have come closer to writing in the newspaper and they have real deadlines, not made-up ones I give myself, so that should help.

Mags had a follow-up this week with the ENT guy, who is very good-looking by the way.  He didn't see a lot of progress in his throat, but since he'd gained a little weight said we can check it again in a month before we look seriously at the surgery.  He still sounds pretty rattly a lot of the time, and it's hard to listen to a little person work so hard to breathe, but he seems okay with it since he doesn't know it could be easier.  I'm hoping we don't have to do surgery on a 12 pound kid, but it's a very simple procedure and would help him gain weight and be more comfortable.  Though the doctor is very comfortable with the procedure there is no pediatric ICU in Willmar, so we'd have to go to the U or Rochester or something for his recovery.  We'll know more in a month. . .

Eero, Rex, and Magnus are starting to notice each other and interact a little more.  Rex and Eero especially carry on their own little conversations at times when they're on the floor together.  Actually, Eero is talking at everyone all the time, but Rex usually answers him.  They hold hands and kick their legs and it's just too cute for words.  If they're on a blanket together but not right next to each other, they wiggle over to be closer.  I'm not a crazy baby lover, but it is pretty cute.  If I ever get the video camera in time I'll see if I can get that on here, too.

The boys made their big debut this weekend at the Kerkhoven town celebration.  I had been sort of gearing myself up to go.  It was their first real public appearance in town where lots of people were present, and I figured we'd be quite the spectacle, which we were.  It's nice, though, to have a place like that where lots of people can see them and we can be done with it all in one weekend!  I heard comments about how long it took us to get from one end of the park to the other as we got stopped for gawkers. . . so I guess it wasn't just me that thought that.  Saturday there were even a couple people who came running across the open area waving their arms as if I'd left a kid on the roof of my car and was about to drive away, but they just wanted to "see the babies".  I didn't even know them.  And the sun was super hot and bright on the poor kids, which they didn't seem to notice as they took their time inspecting them.  When we got to the picnic table area I heard someone say, "Oh, there's the triplets" and in unison all eyes were on us.  I'm constantly in a state of, "Do I have something on my face?"  People asked us why we didn't put them in the parade.  Next year we will, under a big top so we're dressed the part of the circus we are perceived to be.

Axel started swimming lessons last week in the Tadpoles class, him and six girls.  Pretty good odds - bet he'd love to have those in about 12 years!  This week they'll jump off the diving board, and I think he'll be the first one in line.  Water doesn't faze him at all, and I don't know if that's good or bad.

I'm over half done with my two classes, and if I am not a heavy drinker by the end I'll be in good shape.  Two grad classes in five weeks with four kids under three is a lot of numbers and a lot of work, but I have to finish this stuff before I forget it all or lose my nerve.  Also, I didn't go to a year of grad school to waste all that time and money.  But wow.  I've figured out that a can of Dr. Pepper and very loud Metallica does the same thing as a huge Coke from McDonald's.  And I'd like to thank the people at Cub Foods for making big chocolate cupcakes and calling them muffins so I feel like it's okay to eat them for breakfast.  I need things like that at 5:00 a.m.

Pictures at the end. . .
Triplets yes.  Identical, no.


Shout out to Jordan at Sophie's Ice Cream Station in Kerkhoven for the beautiful sculpting of Axel's cotton candy cone.  I'd recommend a visit there.  And I'd also recommend the chocolate birthday cake on a cone.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment