Our family is complete! We continue the story of growing our littlest members. . .

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bedrest: as much fun as it sounds

I'm watching What Not to Wear, and there is a hilarious woman on there who is soon turning 50.  She's very concerned that if she wears anything feminine people will not take her seriously, that she will be objectified and will only be noticed for her chest.  I can only hope that is the case when I turn 50.  What a goofball.

As I expected, bedrest is pretty much boring, but very relaxing and restful at the same time.  It's a strange phenomenon that lying around makes a person more tired, but that is certainly the case.  Things are still very quiet on the baby front, so no news is good news.  I feel just as good as I did last week, and have had no more complications since arriving here.  The weekend was nice - Jesse stayed on the hide-a-bed chair from Friday to Sunday, and I think welcomed the relaxation, too.  We toured the NICU on Saturday, and the nurses told us all about the care the babies receive and how things will go down if our babies make an early entrance.  There were only three babes in there, all under three pounds right now . . . the ones I'm currently growing are already that size, so we're in good shape if I can keep 'em in even longer.

Sunday the fam-damilies came to visit, bringing Axel and his birthday party.  Ten people, including a 3 year old and his noisy toys, in a hospital room for many hours is a lot, in case you were wondering.  It was a memorable gathering, though, and so good to see Axel.  He wasn't sure how to act around me at first, but after I let him move my hospital bed up and down he was back to normal.  After he called the nurses a couple times we had to stop that game, but at least he enjoyed himself at his makeshift party and had big hugs for me before he left.

Yesterday and today have been pretty uneventful.  The babies' heartbeats get monitored for an hour twice a day, and I have a regular routine of pill-taking.  A physical therapist brought me a guide to bedrest exercises today, with the idea that I have some muscle tone left when I am done here.  Today I ventured out to the water dispenser, which was pretty exciting since I hadn't left the room since Saturday.  I also updated my address book with all the little labels I've saved from Christmas card envelopes, a good job done.

I've gotten a lot of comments about being a hot dog on a gurney behind a golf cart, and people have apologized for laughing at that.  No need for that - it was funny, and we need to laugh at those kinds of things.  I definitely plan to put it in the movie version of my life.  And you will really laugh when the golf cart slows down and honks at the hallway intersections, because that is what it did.

So you know, I think people can visit whenever, I don't believe there are visiting hours.  If you want to stop by, feel free.  Hopefully you will be lucky enough to catch me on a day I put some make-up on and have done my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment