Our family is complete! We continue the story of growing our littlest members. . .

Friday, January 14, 2011

Shopping with scissors

First, the good news.  I do not have gestational diabetes; the nurse called to let me know this morning.  I had asked her if my can of Squirt would affect the results after I took the test and she said it could, so we were both curious as to the results.  I'm pretty sure I had a can of pop before my first diabetes test, so that might be the secret to passing it.

And now I must tell a comical and pregnancy-related story.  Well, first a back story.  Quite a few years ago, I was in Target in Mankato with my cousin Mariah.  We were scoping out the clearanced school supplies and I came across a very fun scissors.  It was a safety scissors for young kids featuring a Millennium Falcon (from Star Wars) design.  The scissors was inside a package. . .  For whatever reason, I decided to run with it, perhaps to prove that running with scissors was not dangerous, especially since it was a safety scissors inside a package.  So I take off down the aisle and proceed to fall down.  Seriously, I fell.  I don't know if I tripped or slipped or what.  No one saw it but Mariah and I, and we laughed and laughed.  It was like a lesson just for us.  Do not run with scissors.

So today I ran a couple of errands in Willmar, and since I was alone I thought I would take the opportunity to stop by the mall, having not been there for a long time and not been there alone for even longer.  Plus I needed some shampoo.  I pulled into the handicap spot right outside Herberger's and headed inside.  I took about four steps past the rug and I fell.  Before anyone freaks out, it wasn't a serious fall really.  My fur-topped wedge snowboots were still a little wet and apparently slippery, and as I took a step my foot slid forward and I dropped to one knee.  No one saw me (luckily, because it took me a couple extra seconds to get up), so again it was like a lesson just for me. Who was I kidding?  I was not supposed to be shopping.  Apparently not even a quick stroll through Herberger's.  So I stepped to the carpet, wiped my boots off, and waddled down to the Penney's salon to purchase my shampoo.  Then I left.  No more shopping, God, I promise. I also may understand groin injuries now, which I used to scoff at when they were mentioned during professional football games. 

As for the handicap permit, it's kind of awesome.  When we got it the other day we were in a forest green '97 Cadillac Deville.  Pulling that car into a handicap spot was a totally normal thing to do.  Today I was driving a sportier Monte Carlo, so I'm pretty sure no one believed I was handicapped.  Unless they saw me fall in Herberger's.

3 comments:

  1. God will get you every time, huh Alison!! I hope you're okay! Maybe a good idea to stick to online shopping :-) You did make me giggle though... I started to imagine you and an old lady fighting for the "good" handicap spot by Herbergers...he, he :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now it's not nice to laugh at people who fall, but it can't be as mean to do it to people when you are only imagining it right? I can totally see you in Target running with those "safety" scissors and falling and then again I can see you at Herberger's and the quick darting looks to see if anyone saw you and then when you finally get up shaking your head and kind of smiling to yourself...AHHH HA HA HA HA!! I wouldn't be laughing if you actually got hurt though...I'm not that cruel. Love, love, love your posts!! Anne and I wanna come see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard the early Target story. Sounds like something you would do! Think about you every day and send up a quick prayer when I do.

    As for being publicly embarrassed due to a fall, I have you beat by a mile. I believe it was two years ago. I was in the cafe in NR and got up to go wash my hands. My foot got caught in my purse handle and I went down like a tree. You might know the regular lunch crowd was in there. I had a HUGE bruise on my ribcage. I suspect you are picturing me going sideways. Try not to wet your pants. Love, Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete