Our family is complete! We continue the story of growing our littlest members. . .

Friday, January 28, 2011

It's my anniversary!

Yesterday was the one week anniversary of my arriving at the hospital, and I have to say it went faster than I thought it would.  I've become sort of famous on this floor, as triplets are rare and I'm the only semi-permanent resident here right now.  Every day it seems I meet a different doctor and more nurses, but they're all very helpful, want to make sure I'm comfortable (and eternally eating) and have all the information pertinent to my situation.

Since I last wrote the babies have had two biophysical exams; this is essentially an ultrasound that looks at their breathing and movements.  In Willmar the exam chair is more like a table, here it's kind of a dentist chair.  One would think something ergonomic would be easier to relax on, but that's not true.  Even with a belly full of babies I'm still a pretty normal sized person and yet I always feel like I'm going to fall off the chair.  Today I asked the tech how people bigger than myself manage to stay on this chair and she said they just hang over the edge.  Lovely.  All of our babies are "reactive" (wiggly) beyond their age, and their practice breathing is good.  Turns out babies at this age only breathe for like 30 seconds every 30 minutes or so, just to practice, so we have to watch each one for quite awhile sometimes to catch them doing it.  At least I'm comfortable in the narrow dentist chair while we wait for them to breathe.

I've had some company the last couple of days - my mom, Axel, and grandparents visited me on Wednesday for a couple hours, so that broke up the day.  They brought me some popcorn (I would not make it here without popcorn) and the little waxy chocolate Donettes (another guilty pleasure), which Axel helped himself to and used my bedsheets for a napkin.  He was much more comfortable here this time, found the buttons on the bed right away, and pretty soon had kicked me out so he could lay with his blankie and watch Tom and Jerry.  Just like home!

Yesterday more visitors - friend Sarah came for a few hours so we could catch up, then cousin Jodi and her little Quinn showed up as Sarah was getting ready to leave, so we visited some more.  This took up the middle six hours of the day (awesome).  Somewhere in the middle of this the nurse took my blood pressure, which was a good 30-40 points higher than usual - this was a bit alarming, I thought, but the nurse said it's probably from all the laughing we were doing.  I guess it's worth it then, as I don't usually sit and laugh by myself (as the crazy triplet mom in room 7).  Before the nurses know my name they refer to me as 'the triplet mom".  There's worse things I suppose.

This evening Jesse will be showing up with some fresh clothes, some Cheetos (I have no willpower anymore), and my own bed pillow.  And himself, of course.  For much of our dating life we only saw each other on the weekends as we always lived at least an hour apart, so it's kind of like reverting to that, except without the actual dates.  I did, however, get permission today to take wheelchair rides, e.g. to the cafeteria instead of eating in my room.  So perhaps Jesse and I can go out to eat later.  Tomorrow Axel will return to us and spend the night here - that should be interesting!

People are still asking what they can do for us, and I may have thought of something.  This is easier for people who live near us. . . when I talked to Jesse last night he told me he missed me (awww) because there was nothing to eat.  We usually have some kind of leftovers in our fridge, and of course now there aren't any.  SO, if you want, feed Jesse.  It will probably not work if you call and ask him what he wants, or if he wants to come over and eat, you'll most likely just have to show up with some food.  He's not picky, and would enjoy some home cooking.  Last night he ate Ramen noodles, which he does actually like, but can't survive on them for weeks!  He can cook, but I think is kind of bummed out to take the time.  Also, you probably don't want to bring a dish you want back, because he will not remember to get it to you or even whose it is.

Finally, there is an end in sight.  The doctor told me yesterday that because of the placenta previa I will deliver no later than 34 weeks.  She said some doctors might even say 32 weeks.  It will depend on the growth of Baby C and the overall health of the three of them, but that is the latest it would go.  That day is March 8, less than six weeks.  The countdown begins.

Oh, and my address is:
Alison Nelson, Labor and Delivery
North Memorial Medical Center
3300 Oakdale Ave N.
Robbinsdale, MN 55422

1 comment:

  1. 6 Weeks and counting! Yay! Consider Jesse fed, I will do my best! Sarah and I are plotting a visit soon.. heads up! :) Miss you and think about you always!

    ReplyDelete