Our family is complete! We continue the story of growing our littlest members. . .

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hello, my name is Alison . . .

and I'm a shopaholic.  Damn that Kohls and their 30% off everything coupon.  That's all I'm going to say about that.

I had to go to bed and get back up again to do this on Wednesday, but by God, I am going to do this on Wednesday this time.  Just before bed as I was changing Eero's diaper on the living room floor, he peed on me while Axel drove a remote control car back and forth across my feet.  Is this my life now?  It's occurred to me that if I want my children to go to bed at a normal time, I need to stop doing all the things I want to do.  I can no longer read the paper, talk on the phone, watch the Twins, eat supper. . .  there simply are not enough hours in the day.  I used to think that occasionally, but I could honestly use an extra 10-12 hours a day, minimum.

We're down in New Richland again.  A friend I've had since elementary school is back home visiting from New Jersey, so the boys and I piled in the Escalade again and rolled south.  The best kind of friends are the ones you don't need to talk to every day, maybe not even every month, but when you get together it was as if you were never apart.  Kelly is that kind of friend.  Today she and my mom joined me and my boys on a lunch and shopping trip to O-town.  We lunched at Buffalo Wild Wings (a super addition to Owatonna), where Axel ate about 13 pieces of celery and none of the chicken strips I ordered for him.  Whose kid is this?  I hate celery.  Kelly and I and the boys arrived at B-dubs before my mom, and as we unloaded the clown car it was decided that we may have appeared to be a lesbian couple out with our children.  Only very comfortable friends can make those kinds of comments.

Axel is a character, and in him I catch glimpses of all the crazy things my future holds.  This morning Kelly let him "dry his hair", which means point the hairdryer at anything but his head. . . today he pointed it in a potted plant and let the dirt fly.  It did not occur to me that he would do that, but I need to try to predict these things if I am to survive the next several years.  Who wouldn't stick a hairdryer in a potted plant?  I did not see that coming.

They gave him a yellow balloon at B-dubs which I let him bring in to Kohls - an excellent way to keep track of a kid who runs away in a store, a yellow balloon bobbing above him.  At one point he was gone and came back modeling a red pleather watch with faux diamonds around the face.  He told me when the big hand gets to here, pointing at a number, we are going to the zoo.  Axel always brings the entertainment.  Tonight I tried on a dress I purchased today and he asked if I put on my jammies, so I guess I'll be taking that back.  Who needs daughters?  Little boys are so honest in a non-judgemental way.

Our littlest boys are doing great!  They're very good shoppers, so that's important.  They still take eating very seriously, and will continue to grow faster than I'd like, I'm sure, although that could lead to more shopping as they grow out of things.  Magnus now has an oxymeter in addition to his apnea monitor, which is a little thing we tape to his foot at night that measures the oxygen in his blood.  A couple nights ago I had gone to bed and Jesse brought Magnus upstairs, hooked him up to all this stuff, and I didn't hear any of it.  Then he went back downstairs and fell asleep in the chair.  Wasn't I surprised to wake up to a beeping monitor on a kid I didn't even know was in the room with me!  The oxymeter wasn't picking up like it should have been, so an alarm went off, but we're supposed to turn off the alarm.  Jesse thought he had done that but apparently did not, and I had no idea what to do when I was half asleep so I just shut the whole thing off as I fumbled in the dark.  It's gone better since then.  Eero continues to be the calm, content one, and Rex is still a "spicy taco", as our pediatrician called him.  Magnus seems to be in the middle somewhere.  Sometimes he's off in la-la land, and sometimes he wants to make his voice heard above all other sounds.  They've got such different personalities already!

The other highlight of the week is that we picked up a new lawnmower.  I've always loved mowing the lawn and we finally have something that I can find and start and get right up close to the trees, plus it has a cupholder.  FYI, though, I would not recommend mowing the lawn in a nursing bra (and a shirt of course); it is not very supportive on our lawn that until recently was an alfalfa field.

No comments:

Post a Comment