Our family is complete! We continue the story of growing our littlest members. . .

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

With good reason

That's how a lot of excuses start, isn't it?  Am I late?  Yes, but with good reason. . .

On Tuesday I was all fired up to get this done on time, and then on Wednesday I had no time.  Also, the public health nurse came this morning and weighed the boys, so I wanted to update that as well.

As for yesterday's no time, I took Magnus to Maple Grove for a check-up with a pediatric urologist.  In utero he and Rex had some fluid on their kidneys; Rex's cleared up before he was discharged, and Magnus's went down but not totally away, so I brought him there for an ultrasound and check-up.  Now it has cleared up to the point that the radiologist called it normal, so we will just have to bring him back in a year to make sure that it wasn't a temporary clearing and that he's grown out of it.  Yay!  Eero came along for moral support, and we again draw a crowd.  People like to tell me how brave I am for taking out two babies at one time.  Good grief.   I refuse to stay home always!

I Mapquested directions to Fairview, Maple Grove, and after figuring out a route that did not take me unnecessarily to the freeway, set off on my county roads roadtrip to Maple Grove.  I made it very close, but Mapquest called a road Maple Grove Parkway, and the street signs called it 93rd Ave N, so I missed that turn.  When I got to Brooklyn Park I figured I'd gone too far, and got out the Tom Tom I try not to rely on. . . he got me to the clinic.  However, after a trip through Kohl's (cannot go to the metro area without shopping somewhere), he could not get me back to the county roads and I was uncharacteristically turned around.  So, the truck driver's daughter in me headed west, figuring I'd find something familiar, which I did without Tom.  Unless I'm really lost I vow not to use that thing again.

The public health nurse came again this morning, and I was right - these boys are really getting big!  Magnus is up to 7 lbs 1 oz, which I knew from his appointment yesterday; Eero is 9-2, and Rex is 9-3.  Rex eats all the time and is becoming a little chunk, which is awesome.  Also, I shutter to think about giving birth to them now - Axel was 9 lbs 2 oz at his arrival, and I can't help but wonder how that is physically possible.  I guess that's why I had to sit on a donut for two weeks after he was born.

A lot of people ask me if I am breastfeeding them - yes and no.  The pediatrician had me pumping and fortifying (adding formula to increase calories for weight gain), which I kind of like because then I know how much they're having.  So, I pump several times a day and they also have some bottles of special formula for preemie babies.  I kept up with the three of them for awhile, but now that they eat like horses I can't anymore.  Is this a sign of things to come?  I smiled to myself the other night when making a big tater tot hot dish, thinking how it makes a few days of leftovers now but in a few years will probably barely feed my family at one sitting.  I'm kind of excited about that actually; I love to cook for people who love to eat, and Jesse and Axel are game for just about anything, so hopefully these boys are, too.

Speaking of hot dishes, thank you to everyone who has sent me crockpot recipes; I have yet to put mine on here.  I am going to put on a hot dish one that I make once in awhile and we had for supper a couple of nights ago.  I believe I got it out of the Taste section of the Willmar newspaper when I used to waste too much time reading the newspaper while working at the lumberyard.  If you like chicken alfredo, you will find this delicious.

Chicken Alfredo Bake
8 oz. uncooked pasta
2 c. cooked chicken
2 jars alfredo sauce
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 c. seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 c. parmesan cheese

Simple directions: cook the pasta, drain it, mix in the chicken, sauce, and seasoning.  Melt the butter, and mix with it the bread crumbs and cheese.  Put the noodle stuff in a greased 9 x 13 casserole, crumble the crumb stuff on top.  Bake uncovered for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.  Yum.  The recipe also called for green onions and peas, but I opted out of those.  I've never had peas in chicken alfredo, and I don't usually have green onions.  It's still really good.

Thinking about eating makes me think about losing weight, which has kind of stalled for me.  All said and done I gained about 65 pounds this pregnancy, not terrible if you think of it per baby.  So having twenty pounds still to lose isn't terrible, either, but that doesn't mean I don't feel super chubby all the time!  The medical people I deal with have told me to give my body a year to recover.  I have to feel like this for a year?  Yikes!  I need to eat more than usual to try to keep producing milk, which I know is important, but I also would like to be thinner.  Factor in that I probably have zero metabolism from not moving for 5-6 weeks, and the pounds are slow to drop off.  I want to go outside so badly, but every chance I have it's raining or I've dozed off. 

I may have chased people away before when I said the nurses are calling me nonstop.  They are paid to care.  I've heard from some of you that you don't know if/when you should call, and I say just do it!  I would love to hear from you.  If I can't get to the phone because my arms are full of babies or laundry or Axel, I can hear a message from you and try to call you back!  Please don't hesitate to call if you feel like calling (Staples, I'm talking to you).

I've been approached by the folks at the Kerkhoven newspaper about writing this blog in a weekly newspaper column.  I think I'm up for it, though I don't know if people who don't know me would care about this stuff. . . surely I'll have some good stories as time goes on.  Anyone have any comments?  Is it a good idea?  Jesse has said from the beginning that we could maybe have our own reality show, and I told him I thought we wanted to stay married.  Others have said they should make a TV show about our life, and I said they already did; it's called Everybody Loves Raymond.  Think on that.

Here's a couple of recent pictures - hope to have some birth announcements out by next week.  They'll only be 12 weeks old then, so it's time.  But we've only had them all home for four weeks, so I try to think of it that way.  With good reason. . .


Starting to be silly. . .

Eero

Rex

Magnus

Eero, Rex, Magnus

No comments:

Post a Comment